Oh Fall, how I love you. Seriously, could fall be any more wonderful!? Football, pretty leaves, and all things pumpkin. I am already soo excited for it. Sure, it might not yet be fall, but we are close. And my trip to Hobby Lobby yesterday was a nice reminder. Changing seasons for me also means a change in my front door wreath! Last year I made a fall wreath that I loved – bright colored flowers, a big burlap bow, etc. It was perfect. So, to avoid any more comments about my wreath obsession from my husband, I decided I would just use the same one for this season. But, after being tossed around the garage, and surviving the move six months ago, this puppy was sad. I knew it could be cheaply updated though to revamp it for our new house. So, I picked up a new set of fall colored flowers at Hobby Lobby (40% off!), and decided to remake the burlap bow to be bigger and better.
|Before – Sad wreath and bow|
When I made my burlap bow last time, I really struggled to find the best way to do it. I wanted it big – but being a burlap newbie, I didn’t know the best way to approach it. So hopefully the below instruction will give anyone else struggling some guidance! Note: I used plain burlap ribbon – not wired.
First, just make a big loop on one-side. However big you make this loop will dictate the size of your bow – so eye it carefully and use your wreath for scale.
|Wrapping the middle gives a clean look to the bow!|
To secure the bow to the wreath I used the hot glue gun to attach…and definitely burnt myself. Crafting can seriously be dangerous. But, I also used floral wire and wrapped it around the bow and wreath a couple of times for added security. I was able to hide the wire by wrapping it on either side of the middle “knot” I created. I trimmed the excess burlap hanging down, and definitely gave the bad boy a nice spray of hairspray. I sprayed the ends to hopefully prevent fraying, as well as the bow itself to help keep its shape. Note: to help keep the loops perky, I also hot glued the back of the loops in a couple of spots just to keep them more upright. So happy with the updated bow – bigger definitely is better.
I cut off the individual flowers from the bouquet I bought (leaving a couple inches of stem on each one). Then, I just started adding to it – by sticking the stems throughout the wooden wreath, no hot glue is required. It should be tight and secure as is. The old flowers were in really good shape, but I just wanted to add a little more volume and color/variety to spice it up a little! So happy with the finished product! I just haddd to hang it for pictures and make sure I didn’t need any tweaks. Given that it’s 90 degrees outside, I forced myself to take it down and keep my Spring/Summer wreath up a little while longer. But now I’m even more in the mood for fall and all the goodness that comes along with it!
More fall DIY and decor to come! XO