When we were thrown into this world of severe food allergies, I was so intimidated by the kitchen. I have alwaysss loved cooking, and I always had these grand plans to cook great meals for my family. But, after our diagnosis, I was overwhelmed and actually dreaded the thought of cooking. Maybe it was from all the tears I cried while shopping, or just not knowing where to start, but I was so discouraged. Until I found Cybele Pascal and her amazing cookbooks. It was through her cookbooks that I realized I can still cook healthy, wholesome meals for my family. It’s all about substitutions when it comes to allergy free cooking. And with the right choices, it can taste just as good, if not better!!
The first meal I cooked from one of Cybele’s cookbooks was her Shepherd’s Pie. It became a weekly staple in our house, because it is SO good. I’ve adapted it slightly overtime from her version, but it tastes just as great, and is such an easy way to have the ultimate comfort food on your table in 30 minutes. Count. Me. In.
- Two large Russet potatoes
- 1/4 non-dairy milk (we usually cook with Rice milk)
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 TBS Earth balance buttery spread
- 2 TBS Plain So Delicious yogurt (or whatever vegan yogurt you use!)
- Salt to taste
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1-1.5 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 TBS superfine brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 3 TBS ketchup
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- large pinch of ground cloves
- Earth balance buttery spread
- ground paprika
- Preheat the broiler to high
- Cook the potatoes in the microwave for roughly 12 minutes (flipping halfway through). Make sure to pierce the potatoes a few times with a fork! Let the potatoes rest for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Cut the potatoes in half, and use a spoon to scoop out the potato from the skin. Make sure to hold the potato with a hot pad!!
- Using an electric mixer, combine the potatoes, rice milk, olive oil, buttery spread, yogurt, and salt. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and ground turkey. Break up the meat, and cook until no longer pink. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cloves.
- After meat is cooked, sprinkle the meat and vegetables with the two tablespoons of brown rice flour. Reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the broth, bring to a boil, and cook for about a minute. Make sure to stir often and “deglaze” the bottom of the pan.
- Add the ketchup, and stir for an additional minute.
- Transfer the meat and vegetables to a casserole dish. Top with the mashed potatoes, dot with the buttery spread, and sprinkle with the paprika.
- Broil for 6-8 minutes, until the top is browned. Make sure it doesn’t burn! Enjoy!