A while back I was searching through an old cookbook looking for a recipe, when I stumbled upon my mom’s recipe for Apple Crisp. Anytime I find something of hers, I get super nostalgic and it reminds me of my childhood. She was an amazinggg cook, and she genuinely loved to do it. I like to think that’s why I love being in the kitchen and cooking for my family so much. Her recipe was definitely NOT suitable for Noah’s allergy needs, but with some easy modifications, you can have an equally delicious allergy free apple crisp!
This recipe is super easy, and delicious! Perfect for a fall dessert the whole family will love!
- 3-4 tart apples (I use granny smith, but any tart variety will do)
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- dash of salt
- 5 TBSP vegan butter (I use Earth Balance Vegan buttery sticks) - slightly softened
- Preheat oven to 375
- Peel, core, and slice the apples and add them to a greased pie pan, or 8 X 8 baking dish
- Combine the GF flour, GF oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together in a bowl.
- Add butter to the dry ingredients, and using two butter knives (forks work well too), cut the butter in to make a crumble.
- Top the apples with the crumble mixture. I give the dish a couple of shakes to help everything settle nicely
- Bake for 35 minutes in the center of the oven, or until top is nice and golden brown, and apples are fork tender.
- Enjoy! Serve warm (and with a nice side of vanilla ice cream if your allergies allow)
NOTE: Always make sure to read ALL ingredient labels. Everyone’s sensitivity to their allergens is different. The products I use are ones that I am comfortable are safe for our family. It is important to contact manufacturers to determine if their products are safe for your family’s particular allergies.